Saturday 23 September 2017

Our Brother's Keeper

Living in the Caribbean is a blessing...tropical islands drenched in sunshine, sandy beaches, lovely breezes....paradise.
However, one drawback to our idyllic way of life is our annual Hurricane Season which runs from June to November.
Hurricanes are no joke as they pack the full force of Mother Nature when they descend on us.

This year the season has been rampant with hurricane formation one after the other ...what is worrisome is the strength that each one seems to be achieving as they travel across the Atlantic Ocean from the west coast of African to our shores.

Tropical Waves and Low Pressure areas are developing at an alarming rate becoming mature hurricanes in no time at all.
Cat 1 hurricanes advance through the stages (1-5) in the blink of an eye.
Hurricane Harvey, Hurricane Irma tore through the islands, but then on September 18th Maria came along, a Category 5 hurricane that devastated the island of Dominica.
Dominica.... nicknamed the "Nature Isle of the Caribbean" is now devoid of it's beautiful greenery after Maria's visit.
Total devastation...my heart hurts for the people who have lost EVERYTHING they owned.
Al Jazeera article here.

All communications on the island have been destroyed completely.

The Prime Minister, Hon. Roosevelt Skerrit sat in an interview and cried....WE HAVE LOST EVERYTHING.....EVERYTHING..my heartstrings were pulled taut as I cried along with him.


Being a keen weather watcher and amateur meteorologist, I had joined the Barbados Weather Watchers (Reloaded) Facebook group sometime last year and found like-minded souls who not only shared information but also took pleasure in explaining weather systems. 
An SOS was sent out by many organisations for donations for Dominica via the group. 


When one member posted of help needed to assist our brothers and sisters in the hurricane ravaged island of Dominica, she wrote:
"The Barbados Defense Force (BDF) is taking a ship with supplies to Dominica departing within 24 hours. They are appealing for donations of water, sanitary napkins, baby diapers, canned food and bottled water. They have requested that you include a list of what is donated so they know and can update the request if they receive much of some items.
Take donations to Coast Guard on Spring Garden by the Flour Mill (long road opposite the Mt Gay rum facility, when leaving town towards St. James) or to the BDF base at St. Ann's Fort, The Garrison. Any questions you can call 536-2500.

NOTE: Donations can be accepted at either location between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm - one vessel is leaving today and another one will be leaving tomorrow... please mark the items."

I wanted to help.....desperately.
One of my best friends at university many years ago was from a  little village on the west coast of the island named Coulibistrie. Her name was Elizabeth and she had taught me the broken French creole/patois which I still use up to this day.
I had to help my Dominicans.


For me it was all systems go....I wanted to catch up with the second boat which was leaving on Wednesday (20th).

As you know my brother (Rest his Soul) was a member of the Barbados Defense Force and I knew that my donated items would arrive safely in Dominica and be distributed to those that were in need via the BDF.
On my way to the Coast Guard Base I stopped off for some extra cardboard boxes that I found out they needed more of for packing the items for storage on the boat.
I arrived at the Coast Guard Headquarters not knowing what to expect.

By 9.30am I was in  a long line awaiting my turn to drop off my items.
Everyone was waiting their turn patiently.
No one jumped the queue claiming to be in a hurry.
As I sat there watching the proceedings, I was filled with emotion and the tears began to fall.
It was so good to see my fellow Bajans responding to the call for help.
We are a loving and caring people naturally, and I was PROUD of my countrymen.  It could easily have been us that had been affected because Hurricane Maria changed course slightly on her way up the Caribbean island chain therefore missing us.
The BDF personnel were courteous, efficient and very helpful.
They inspected all the items while itemizing them and recorded my name.
Later that night, I would post this:
" Today in the long line to drop off my donations .... I was overcome with emotion and I started to cry...at the humanity of my fellow Bajans.. Everyone pitching in to do their part to help. ...big trucks, vans, cars...lots of cars filled with all kinds of everything. .I was filled with PRIDE at how eager we all were to help our sisters and brothers in hurricane ravaged Dominica. While waiting patiently I have never felt such an outpouring of love for others..... the tears are coming again. Well done BDF!!! Tomorrow the RSPCA."


To be honest the amount of stuff I saw being dropped off, I hope the boat had space for everything.
Somehow I know in my heart of hearts that my brother is with his BDF comrades helping them to help our brothers and sisters in Dominica when they land for their "boots on the ground" duties. 
We must be our brother's keeper for no man is an island. 
We are all here to help each other.
Today for you and tomorrow for me.


  "There but for the grace of God go I."

4 comments:

  1. Good to see you posting, I've been thinking of you from time to time during these hurricanes, not knowing (over here across the oceans) all the places where those horrible hurricanes may have hit. ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for thinking of me...hurricane season or not.
      I too have been thinking of my blog friends and wondering if all was well in their world.
      It's been a very hectic summer for me with lots of projects but I'm winding down now and I will once again have the time to blog again.
      Thanks for sticking with me....hope you are well.

      Delete
  2. so glad you are safe, the devastation was huge though and I am sure they will appreciate any donations sent their way. It is wonderful how people front up to help in times of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was glad to know that you were safe. We have severe hurricanes here occasionally but the difference in our house construction is such that I can't even begin to understand or imagine the devastation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...