Sunday 14 February 2016

Chinese Fish & Dragon Festival 2016

It's been quite some time since I was out on a proper Saturday jaunt.
I've been so busy recently that my Saturday jaunts have been non-existent.
With the new year started, there are lots of projects on the "To Do" list in my head, and I have programmed myself to get them done by year end.
Thus I wasn't sure I would have been able to go jaunting yesterday, since when I'm in "work mode" it's very hard to stray away from my work goals, yet I knew it was time to take a break.
It was a done deal after daughter dear asked me if I was going to attend the festival and if she could go along with me....I was pleasantly shocked at this request, but happy nonetheless.

 

The outdoor festival was held at Church Village Green to celebrate the Chinese New Year.

This year 2016 is the Year of the Monkey according to the Chinese zodiac and it began on February 8, 2016 and will end on January 27, 2017.
The event included food, music, workshops and art exhibits, as well as live performances.
The air was alive with excitement as we waited for the performances to begin.
We decided to take a stroll to take everything in.





Happy Monkey New Year



Local wine stall





I couldn't help but stop and stare at this box of cute puppies.

In the Grand Salle of The Central Bank of Barbados next door were several displays and workshops.
As we entered there were a few youngsters from a local club showing off their skills at table tennis.



 A Chinese Diplomat was being interviewed by the local press.
There were several photos displayed and I have captured a few of my favourites below.
I wish I had used my camera for these shots instead of my phone but I didn't.

 Green Transport

 A Mud Football Game

 Expressway linking Mountain Villages

 Morning Jog
By this time it was almost lunch time and the lines at the Chinese Food Stall were beginning to form.


 The food was tasty and I had the best tasting won tons I've had in a long time.

 At first the band was playing right beside the food stall....
...but soon "the chef" came over and shouted "Too Much Noise!!!  I can't hear!!"
At least that's what I think he said in Chinese.
So the band moved over to the grassy area under the trees which was perfect.

The  Chinese New Year Lion Dance is performed for good luck to usher in the Chinese New Year

With beating drums and clashing cymbals, the lion came alive.

 
 
We did not stay for the evening's performances and I wish that we had because according to Facebook comments they were outstanding. 

Next year I will make sure that I attend these performances.

Happy Chinese New Year!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...