Sunday 20 December 2015

Bidi Bom

 I missed out on Christmas Jazz this year...a real pity but these things happen.
There are still quite a few other upcoming concerts on the calendar and I hope to be able to attend a few of them.
Last evening I found myself at "Christmas Fa La La" a free concert at the Frank Collymore Hall, which featured The Central Bank of Barbados Chorale under the direction of Walter Forbes Jr.
The other guest artistes for the evening were Amanda Fields (Soprano), Nathan Richards (Flautist and Singer), Bajan Brass Quartet and the Youth Pan Ensemble.
Under the patronage of the Governor of the Central Bank, Dr. Delisle Worrell and his wife, the concert was a Christmas gift to Barbados from the Central Bank of Barbados.
Arriving early in order to get a good park and a great seat, I was more than annoyed when after carefully choosing my seat, two very talkative ladies sat directly behind me and talked through the entire programme.
The hall was not as full as it usually is for these events and I wished the "mouthers" would move on to the other vacant seats.  I'd had a hard working day and was really too tired to admonish their rude behaviour....I was just too tired to engage any drama.....you know how that goes.

The chorale opened with "Bidi Bom" which I enjoyed very much, so much so that I had an ear worm all day.
Here is a wonderful rendition by a student choir I found online.
https://youtu.be/ESm94F9FSik

Other songs performed for the evening included favourites like Here We Come A-Caroling,  Candlelight Carol, Sing Noel, Mozart's Fa La La, Coventry Carol, Ding Dong Merrily on High, God Rest You Merry Gentlemen, as well as other selections by the featured artistes.
There was also an audience singalong with Go Tell It On The Mountain and It Came Upon A Midnight Clear.
The music was fresh and rang true to the words of The Chorale Director in his programme message "Many of the melodies will be familiar but the arrangements give a sense of freshness to the listener and performer alike."
All in all a nice evening despite the "talkees."

1 comment:

  1. I switched the video off after a few bars just in case I became infected.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...