Saturday 28 March 2015

A warm welcome

About two weeks ago I posted on our local FaceBook Freecycle page that I was looking for some asparagus fern plants to complete the verge outside my front wall.
A lovely lady answered my request and I went by and collected what she had to offer.
Then a couple of days ago, my post was seen by another plant group on FaceBook, and I was invited to join them.  I decided to go ahead and do so, and boy am I glad that I did.
Today they hosted a plant swap in Queen's Park in the city, and I went along with some of my rogue heliconia plants to share.
What a genuine and warm welcome into the "Bajan Home Gardening" family.  It was as if I had known them for ages. We all got to talking and exchanging not only the plants we had brought but also great tips and ideas.
 
 Passion fruit, lime and tangerine seedlings, agaves, aloes and succulents.

 
 All kinds of Succulents

 
 Coleus, Marigolds and a variegated pothos which came home with me, since mine just kicked the bucket.

 
 
 Various cuttings, Oxalis, Kalanchoe, Coleus

 
 My big pot of rogue heliconias
(flower in the foreground)

 

 
 It was a lovely gathering and everyone found something nice to swap.
I came away with passion fruit, lime and tangerine seedlings, pothos, succulents, vanda orchid, Star of India, red spinach, and of course an empty heliconia pot.
Thanks for the warm welcome ladies, you can swing by my home anytime when I have more plants to share.
While chatting with one of the ladies, she informed us that a nearby school was having a fund raiser, and that if we had the time that we should go by.
Since it was not far away, I decided to pop by and support the cause.

 "Radnor"
Kids were having a blast in the jumpy tent.

Several tents and display stalls were placed around the grounds.
Lots of crafts and locally made products.
I just realised I should have taken more photos, but I was too busy taking it all in.

More plants, but I had already had my fill for the day.
I bought a few fishcakes for me and "you know who" and some lovely tasting coconut cakes. 
It was then time to leave and run my regular Saturday morning errands.
I arrived back home pretty late to find my BrownBerts waiting at the kitchen door to go outside to relieve himself.
Prepared his lunch, and had something to eat myself, and then had myself a much deserved afternoon relaxation on the couch watching "Ancient Aliens" a program I happen to like.
A nice Saturday.

8 comments:

  1. I do dilike it when I lose a comment. Particularly when It's my own fault. I wandered off to look at one of the suggested posts because I didn't recall it....until I got there.

    I think that the benefits of social sites like Facebook can be really good despite their shortcomings and the scepticism of some people. One of the best things I ever did was to start blogging.

    Your mention of a Kalanchoe reminded me that I had in my office a Kalanchoe blosfeldiana. I'm not really one for indoor plants but it was a gift and remained my companion for many years. I wonder what happened to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shunned away from FaceBook for many many years....it was only when my alma mater started posting updates on FB that I reluctantly decided to join.
      Since joining several groups of interest, I have learned so much and have met some very nice folks.
      It has also been a sounding board as evidenced in my last rant.
      Blogland has been an inspiration and a life saver for me...so glad that that I started this blog.
      I hope your kalanchoe companion has a new friend who is taking care of it after all these years.

      Delete
  2. I think you struck gold when you discovered that group. They sound wonderful. People who love plants (and animals) are just the best kind of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head...people who love plants and animals are just the best kind of people.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great day! I love free plants. :o) Remember the blue clematis you thought I had killed when I dug it up and cut it back? IT'S ALIVE!! Woo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free plants are the best!!
      I am so happy for you that that BEE-YOU-TEE-FUL blue clematis is alive and going strong...YEAH!!!

      Delete
  4. What an interesting day and great way to make new friends. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to meet new friends, especially those who have the same heart-felt interests.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...