Saturday 10 May 2014

Saturday lunch snack

Saturday is usually a quick-snack day, no time for cooking lunch at all, because I'm out and about on my Saturday jaunt.
Today I ventured all the way to Speightstown in the north of the island to run my errands.
On the way back home, I made a pit-stop to purchase fish cakes (fried seasoned cod fish balls) from a friendly vendor raising funds for her church's restoration.  She makes the best tasting fishcakes and cassava pone and sweetbread and positions herself outside the church door to sell her delicacies.
I had the hankering for a subby, and I figured a fishcake subby would go down well.
After my purchase of three fishcakes (one for you know who), I headed home to prepare my snack.
As I started to gather all my ingredients I realised that I had forgotten to purchase some lettuce.
Then a light bulb went off in my head...."You crazy girl, you have lettuce growing right outside...."
Yes, believe it or not, those small seedlings that were planted just two weeks ago are maturing in leaps in bounds.

Photo from a couple of days ago
Headed outdoors and plucked a few lettuce leaves for my sandwich.....aahhhh the joy of growing your own food.
 

The beginning of a great tasting snack
Yummy.....yum..... yum

9 comments:

  1. One good thing about lettuce is that it keeps growing back, doesn't it?:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it gives and gives and gives.....I'm happy that I planted it in my garden.

      Delete
  2. I know! I also get the most extraordinary amount of pleasure from going out and picking something to put into a meal I am cooking. My lettuce is a bit slow this year, but I have been enjoying lots of bok choy and I made an awesome herb omlette over the weekend. I love to pick lettuce leaf by leaf fresh out of the garden like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also thinking of planting baby bok choy since I love it so much.
      Fresh from the garden...I love it!!

      Delete
  3. Growing your own food is wonderful, isn't it. But what is a subby? I assume it's not a subaltern (Primarily British military term for a junior officer. Literally meaning "subordinate," subaltern is used to describe commissioned officers below the rank of captain.) I mean, you might fancy a subaltern but you probably wouldn't tell us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh CJ, what are we to do with you???
    A subby is short for submarine sandwich.....although I could have fancied a subaltern like you said....but I'd never tell!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if that is where Subway got its name. You've made me think of fishcakes. I love them. Hmm. Note made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What time will those fishcakes be ready?

      Delete
  6. Did 'you know who' enjoy his lunch? He's a spoiled little doggy, isn't he? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...