Thursday 10 October 2013

Staten Island Ferry - Part II - The Statue of Liberty

Leaving Staten Island behind, I migrated to the other side of the ferry, so that I could take photos from that side.

Sailing away from Staten Island

I knew that one of the major attractions I wanted to photograph was on that side, and I was excited.

Jersey City skyline with the first glimpse of a pretty lady.


and there she was!!!


The Statue of Liberty on Liberty Island
Officially called "Liberty Enlightening the World"
Lady Liberty - A gift to the United States from the people of France
The statue was designed by Frederic Auguste Bartholdi and is a robed female figure depicting Libertas, the Roman goddess of freedom. She holds a torch in one hand and a tablet in the other.
The tablet is inscribed with the date of the US Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776.
A broken chain lies at her feet.
A welcoming beacon in New York harbour
She has a birds eye view of all the happenings in the harbour
I felt like a paparazzi snapping away photo after photo
Can you see the small multi-coloured specks on the ground......tourists....lots of them
There are live cams in both the torch and the crown that may be viewed here.
I had to be careful all the while taking the "mob-o-ton" of photos not to let the camera slip from my hands into the water below.


Leaving Lady Liberty behind.
You may read more details here, here and here.

Jersey City skyline


Manhattan skyline with the almost completed One World  Trade Center
Against the beautiful skyline, a tug with garbage crosses the water

The One World Trade Center, formerly The Freedom Tower amongst the older skyscrapers in downtown Manhattan
Battery Park where you take the ferry over to Liberty Island to see the Statue of Liberty up close

Returning to the Whitehall Terminal



Folks checking to see how well the captain can dock the ferry.
Battery Park on the left.

What a great trip. The Staten Island Ferry ride has been called "One of the world's greatest (and shortest) water voyages" and I totally agree with that.
Back at the Whitehall Terminal
More security personnel evident
Battery Maritime Building - front facade
Downtown Battery Park

Waiting at the end of the "R" line - South Ferry/Whitehall Station

Didn't have to wait too long.  Another exciting day.  Wonder what's next?


"mob-o-ton" definition here.

4 comments:

  1. I think I would feel very small in New York! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a commanding place that sometimes I feel quite small and insignificant too when I'm there.
    There is so much of everything all around you that it's totally impossible to be aware of everything, and it's all happening at warp speed. No wonder that folks who live there are totally stressed out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see photos and a commentary by someone I know. It's so much more personal than a TV programme or some other sort of viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did my best to bring you a good commentary along with some added background research...glad you enjoyed it.
    Your comment showed up this time!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...