Saturday 9 February 2013

Nesting

The Gray Kingbird (Tyrannus dominicensis) loves to build its nest near street lights.  This practice makes it easy for them to munch all the insects that frequent the lights at night.
Is this really so?? Let's have a look, shall we?


What's that I spy with my little eye?


Could it be?


Nah,  couldn't be

Really?

Yes, there it is, the well constructed nest of the Gray Kingbird all wrapped up in some abandoned cables on the utility pole.

On a street light pole, none the less.  How ingenious is that?  Build your house right next to a buffet-style restaurant, you can't go hungry, even I would not have thought of that.

Yesterday, however, the crew from the telephone company were out changing over to newer cables (to accommodate more data), and tidying up the many unused cables in the area. There were actually two extra lines coming into my property that were no longer needed....snip, snip and they were gone.
When I checked back later in the evening, the wires on the pole were neat and tidy, but alas, the Gray Kingbird  nest had also been removed.


  All neat and tidy....no sign of the nest

I had been hoping to witness the birth of the babies, and watch them as they learned to fly.  Maybe if I check around carefully, I'll come across another nest nearby.  Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. It is such a shame that almost everything we do seems to impact on nature. Such a shame that the guys working on the pole couldn't leave the cable there until the bird had finished nesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guys were following instructions to "tidy up the wires."
      When they are finished, the supervisor conducts a drive-by check I suspect, so they would have had to come back out, if the nest in the tangled wires was still there, and probably would have been reprimanded.....yes, it is a shame.

      Delete
  2. How very annoying for the birds... I can imagine the conversation: "But it seemed such a perfect location!" "I told you, never trust those humans!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, you made me laugh, but at the same time I feel badly for them. Like you said, they have to start all over again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...