Saturday 17 November 2012

ALL GONE!!! Scaly-naped pigeons Part 2

The seeds on the McArthur palms have been ripening steadily day by day, and the Scaly-naped pigeons have been coming by to check on them every day.

But as you can see, they have company, the Gray Kingbirds also love the seeds.  The two of them seem to have worked out an agreement between themselves.

However, Mr.Scaly-naped pigeon still appears to be the Head Honcho in charge of the seeds.


Looks like he will dictate when the seeds can be eaten. So in the meanwhile, Mr. Gray Kingbird waits patiently on a neighbouring palm frond swaying in the breeze, but keeping a close eye on the proceedings.


Patience is a virtue they say


But they both have the same level of patience and determination


Even when the sun changes direction in the afternoon, the seeds are still under  a careful watch


A watched pot never boils.......the older folks say






It's time, they're ready, move over you big lug

Whereas Mr.Gray Kingbird can just just swoop down and pick a seed and fly away to munch in delight...(see first photo)
Mr. Pigeon has to take his time....carefully stepping out on to the branches.....



perched oh so perfectly...and


.......oh so cautiously hanging on for dear life



to partake of the bounty.......until......

.......it's ALL GONE!!!!

However, they don't have to wait too long before the next set of seeds in the background are mature enough to eat, then the ritual will start all over again.

6 comments:

  1. You have almost as much patience as a photographer as they have waiting for their meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience is not one of my strong virtues, admittedly I have tried to cultivate more of it as I grow older.
      I can still hear my mum saying to me, "Rome was not built in a day, have patience."
      I managed to take these photos in between my household chores and looking outside every so often to capture the moments.

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of the seagulls from Nemo - "Mine, mine, mine"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though the pigeons guard the seeds non-stop, they do allow the Gray Kingbirds to enjoy some. It's good that they share.

      Delete
  3. Hello Virginia!
    How have you been doing? Missing you on my blog.
    I just knew that you were not well. What happened?
    How's the knee doing?
    Wow! My endless questions! Sorry about that.

    Take care dear.
    And do drop by sometime ok :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your concerns. I am all well again.
      I have just left you a comment on your blog, since it has been a while that I did not drop by.
      Love your Medinilla Magnifica plant!! Gorgeous!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...