Friday 10 August 2012

When I wake up in the morning light....

Opening the door to the outside world this morning, my ears were immediately assaulted by the loud hum of bees.

It was almost deafening, so I decided to take a cautious walk into the garden to see what was going on.
It was early morn, but the bees were already hard at work on the flowers of my MacArthur palms.

MacArthur Palm (Ptychosperma macarthurii) 






Not sure how they sensed me creeping up on them with my camera, but in the blink of an eye, they were flying around and no longer keeping still.......how did they know????
I need a "fancy smancy" camera like that of my friend GB, whereby I can stay from afar and snap photos to my heart's delight without them knowing.
I don't think I captured a photo of a single bee, ...............so close but yet so far.


4 comments:

  1. Ha! I was straining my eyes looking for those little buggers. And then at the end, you mentioned that they weren't there. Next time, I'll read the whole thing first.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark...what are we going to do with you? I guess no one believes me that the flowers were swarming with bees before I crept up...
    Now maybe if I had a fancy camera like yours, we both could have seen the bees in the photos.....hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the bees I photograph are solitary - at least when they are harvesting nectar. Although I love bees and was in the beekeeping society at school I'm not that keen on disturbing lots of them when they are on the plants. If they do get defensive they can be pretty vicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, a beekeeping society at school...that's interesting. I hardly ever see a solitary bee, except when they are attracted to my porch light at night.
      My other palm has floral plumes that attracts the big black bumblebees.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...